“I know this steak doesn’t exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss.” -The Matrix
- 1 pound New York strip steak
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 crushed and finely diced garlic cloves
- Pre-heat oven to 450 F.
- Coat the steak with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over high heat.
- When the pan begins to smoke, gently add the steak.
- Sear for three minutes per side for rare.
- Remove from heat and place in pre-heated oven for desired doneoness, ie, 5 minutes for medium rare.
- Transfer to a warm platter and serve.